IN line with its inclusive initiative, the Malaysia Organising Committee (MASOC) Kuala Lumpur 2017 has upgraded all competition venues for the 9th ASEAN Para Games from Sept 17-23 to ensure it is accessible for all especially athletes and spectators with disabilities.
MASOC chairman YB Brig Gen Khairy Jamaluddin said facilities such as toilets, cafeteria and pathways were upgraded to ensure smooth movement especially amongst wheelchair athletes and officials.
“About 4,000 volunteers will be around to assist athletes, guests and spectators during the Games,” he said.
He assured that transportation matters will be given preference during the Games to avoid any problems.
To hype up and enable the whole country to join in the Para Games celebration, the opening and closing ceremonies will be broadcast live on the organisers’ official YouTube channels.
In total, 1,340 special seats dedicated for the spectators with disabilities will be available at the games venues.
ASEAN Para GAMES VENUES
KL Sports City
Para Archery: Synthetic Field in MSN
Para Athletics: Bukit Jalil National Stadium
Para Badminton: Axiata Arena
Football 5-aside: Bukit Jalil Hockey Stadium
Football 7-aside: Field C in MSN
Para Swimming: National Aquatic Centre
Malaysia International Trade and Exhibition Centre (MITEC)
1. Boccia: HALL 6
2. Goalball: HALL 8
3. Chess: HALL 4
4. Para Table Tennis: HALL 7
5. Para Powerlifting: HALL 3
6. Wheelchair Volleyball: HALL 11
7. Wheelchair Basketball: HALL 9 and 10
Para Cycling (Track) – National Velodrome in Putrajaya
Para Cycling (Road) – Putrajaya
Tenpin Bowling – Sunway Pyramid – Sunway Megalanes
Wheelchair Tennis – Jalan Duta Tennis Complex
TRANSPORTATION TO STADIUM AND MATCH VENUES:
Members of the public are encouraged to take public transportation such as MRT, LRT, KTM and public buses to the match venues. These services are equipped with disabled-friendly facilities such as dedicated areas and lanes for wheelchair-users.
SPECIAL SERVICES AND FACILITIES AT KL SPORTS CITY
Parking: • 150 parking spaces at Car Park B reserved for the disabled. Only vehicles with JPJ-approved OKU car stickers allowed to park at this dedicated space. •
Buggy services to shuttle the disabled groups from Car Park B to the stadium.
• OKU organisations who wish to park their buses at the stadium ground may contact MASOC at 012-9535375 (Adam) or 013-2064339 (Aini) to make the necessary arrangement.
• Shuttle services within the KLSC area to ferry spectators to several main stops namely the National Hockey Stadium, Bukit Jalil National Stadium, National Aquatic Centre, Axiata Arena and National Sports Council.
Special Gates: • Gates A and E dedicated to spectators with disabilities to facilitate entry into the stadium. However, they may still use other gates to enter the stadium.
Special Seats • All of the front rows at Tier 2 around the SNBJ are reserved for spectators with disabilities and their assistants/guides to provide them with same viewing experience and convenience while watching the Games.
• Volunteers will also be placed on the second row to assist this group.
• Priority for persons with disabilities during dispersal after the opening and closing ceremonies at SNBJ.
• Additional ramps at match venues to ease the movement of the disability community especially the wheelchair-users.
• Disabled-friendly toilets with appropriate facilities provided at the match venues for those in need.
FACILITIES AT MITEC
• Parking spaces for OKU will be added.
• Signages to entrance and parking spaces will be increased for better direction to the groups.
• 4,000 volunteers will be mobilised and a large number will be assigned to assist the public, people with disabilities and athletes at the match locations.
• Volunteers are trained by the Department of Social Welfare to prepare them in helping members of the disabled community and athletes throughout the Games.